Anyway, it was great to see Brian and Cindy and their daughters Hailey and Abby. We had a nice visit catching up at dinner after church. Brian and Cindy are especially dear to me because Brian baptized me several years ago. I was actually baptized when I was six (Brian didn’t do that one) at the First United Methodist Church in Salina, the year I consider the beginning to my journey as a Christian, when I first started understanding what it meant to love God and accept Jesus Christ as my saviour, as much as a six year old can. When I attended Bible College I was confronted by many people who informed that my baptism wasn’t valid because the Methodist church practices sprinkling and I need to be immersed to go to heaven. They never did convince me that I wasn’t a Christian, but after studying and learning more about biblical traditions, I did decide that I wanted to be baptized by immersion. I didn’t want to do this while I was in college, because my pride took over and I didn’t want all of my critics to think they were right. But about six months after graduation I decided it was time. I was living in Indiana and Brian and Cindy were living in Louisville, Kentucky where I would often go visit them for the weekend. On one of my weekend trips I asked Brian to baptize me, so we went up to Southeast Christian Church (the old building, which was still large, but not as big as the current arena!). It was a Friday night, after dark, and we were the only three people present in that huge sanctuary. Brian baptized me and Cindy was my witness. It was anticlimactic, but memorable. I was relieved to not feel any different, to understand that this was just another part of my journey, and not a determining factor of my eternal fate.

But back to the silliness….I did not have my camera with me at church, so I don’t have a recent picture of Brian and Cindy that I can post. But it’s okay, because it is much more fun for me to dig out old photos and post them instead. I couldn’t find any good ones of Brian and Cindy together, so here are two separate photos. This first one is from freshman year with Justin and Brian (and Matt in the background???) at Showbiz Pizza. I can’t remember why we went, but I think when we were 18 we still thought it was fun to go there and act stupid. It’s not really that fun anymore. Just loud and annoying.

This next picture is of Cindy, Lesa, Paula and I when we were all roommates in our beloved apartment. I think this is from my senior year (the first of my two senior years). We decorated for Christmas and here we are posing with the stockings that Lesa made for all of us. And some kind of weird matching earrings too. That was one of my favorite years in college. The four of us had a lot of good times together!

3 comments:
Hi Kelly! Jacque shared your blog site with me....I loved reading through it and looking at all of the pictures :) Sherry
Hi Sherry! We need to all get together sometime...it's been too long! I'll have to find some high school photos to post now, so I can keep you and Jacque entertained :)
I wanted to chime in and say hi too Sherry! I will try to dig out some of my photos too. Can you believe we are nearing 20 YEARS? Unbelievable. One of my favorite memories is when one of us had a birthday and we would get pizza and eat it in the hallway. Does anyone have a picture of that? Check out my blog by clicking on my name!
Post a Comment