November 24, 2006

My first assignment

Today Julie gave me an assignment for the blog. I was explaining that a lot of people I know use their blogs to talk about their kids, or their deep philosophical thoughts, but since I have neither, mine is mostly just silly. Then she asked if I had heard all this talk about the “end of civilization as we know it” coming in 2012. I said I had not heard this and that she should ignore it. Then she suggested I research this and write about it on my blog, so that 1) I could have some deep philosophical thoughts, and 2) she could come here when she needed to learn what was going on in the world.

Using my well honed research skills, I immediately went to google and typed in “end of civilization as we know it 2012”. Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) says that in the Aztec calendar, 2012 represents the end of a 26,000 year planetary cycle. I don’t have any idea what that means, so I continued to search. Apparently, there are a lot of predictions including a giant comet impacting the earth in 2012, a major shift of political power due to dwindling oil reserves, even a prediction that 2012 wil be the year Arnold Swarzenegger will be elected president.

So here’s what I think Julie: your subconscious is telling you that 2012 is the end of life as you know because that is the year Bobby will graduate High School. Andy will be in college and very near the age when you got married, and Lizzie will be a high school sophomore, getting her drivers license and reaching the age when she can date. That’s a traumatic year for any mom if you ask me! So my advice to you is to play dumb and refuse to acknowledge that your kids may one day graduate high school. Pull out the old Michael Jackson stuff and put on those parachute pants and maybe 2012 will never come.

And since Julie didn't like the first picture I posted, here's another photo of us. If it's not already obvious, it's from the 80's, the decade of big hair and stonewashed jeans.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that a Swatch watch you are wearing? At least we look cool in this picture :-)
Thanks for your philosophical analysis of 2012. I think I need more chocolate...especially if Arnold is president. Maybe good ol' Dan Quayle will make a political comeback. Nah, he's too smart for that.
I've got to come up with another assignment for you. Let's see...the meaning of life is too simple of a topic...how about tackling the subject of why there are so many different recipes for chocolate chip cookies. And you have to search deeper than "because everyone likes variety." Good luck! --Julie