October 21, 2008

50 states part 1

It has always been my goal to visit all 50 states and I'm finally getting down to my last 8 or so. Next month I have a work trip to North Dakota and I'm very excited to knock that one off my list. I've been wondering how I was going to get there, so I was so excited when I got a call that they needed me to come and do a training in Bismarck.

One of my rules is that I can't count the state unless I did something there, either spend the night, visit a tourist attraction, something. Flying through the airport doesn't count, and driving through the state with only restaurant stops doesn't count.

So I started making a list, trying to make note of the first time I visited that state, (if ever) so I could determine which ones are still on my list to visit. Here are the first 16:


ALASKA
ALABAMA – 2003 spent a week in Mobile, AL with the Crossroads Christian Church youth group at Taking The City where we did service projects and practical jokes on each other all week.
ARKANSAS – 1970’s visited my uncle Jack’s family when they lived in Little Rock
ARIZONA – 1988 spring break trip with my freshman college roommate, Cindy, to Phoenix (first of many trips). Oops…I just remembered I went with my parents when I was a kid too. And on choir tour 1989 where we got sunburned tubing on the river and altitude sickness in Flagstaff after visiting the Grand Canyon.
CALIFORNIA –1990-something spring break trip to Thousand Oaks with Kami and Tracey to visit Tracey’s brother Kevin. He was pretty annoyed with us by the end of the week.
COLORADO – 1980s family vacation to Denver and Estes Park, multiple youth group trips in high school to various ski resorts and camps.
CONNECTICUT – 2005 tour of New England after a work trip in Maine. Visited the Mystic Seaport Museum, but that’s about all I had time for because Rhode Island traffic sucked away all my day.
DELAWARE – 1988 choir tour. I think we performed at a church in Delaware, but I need to confirm that. Not sure how I’m going to confirm that though…maybe someone else remembers?
FLORIDA – 1986 or 87 High School Marching Band trip to Disney World and other locations. Funny, funny times. Very hot, sweaty band uniform.
GEORGIA – 1986 or 87 Stranded for many hours in a bus station in Atlanta in the middle of the night because the air conditioning on the high school band bus broke down and we had to switch buses. 2004 or 5 spent a week in Atlanta for another Taking the City trip with Crossroads Christian Church youth group. Fun, but not quite as entertaining as the week in Alabama.
HAWAII
IDAHO – mid 1990s visited Boise Bible College to do a presentation with coworkers from AIM (Adventures in Missions). Also visited Shoshone Falls which was beautiful.
IOWA – 1980s Des Moines on choir tour with college. I think we performed in Grinnell also.
ILLINOIS – early 1990s drove to Chicago for the first time with college friend Rebecca, after attending a wedding in Springfield. Maybe went here on choir tour in 1988 too, I just can’t remember. Lived in Wheaton/Lisle/Naperville for four years in late 1990s.
INDIANA – 1991 spent the summer living in Bloomfield, IN as an intern with Adventures in Missions. Lived there from 1993 to 1996.
KANSAS – 1969 my birth in Manhattan. I don't remember it, but I have verification that I was there.
Here's a photo of my group hanging out in a park in downtown Mobile, AL. The park was across the street from the homeless shelter we worked in all week.

No comments: