July 4, 2007

NYC



I just got back from New York City yesterday. I think I will be recovering for about a week. It's not so much that the city wore me out, but I learned that I am not cut out for a Scharping Family Vacation. It was great in the sense that I got to see more sites than I ever thought possible over a three day period, and I definitely enjoyed my humorous travel companions (like the statue of liberty impersonator shown above). But I like a lot of down time and this was not included on the schedule. And it was a tight schedule! Jeff started planning the schedule months ago, building his vacation binder with subway schedules, mapquest directions, brochures, etc. When I first saw the schedule for the NYC part of the trip (this is the only part I joined them for.....I could not have possibly survived the full two weeks which included numerous stops along the east coast), I laughed and told him there was no way to do all those things in one day. But I was wrong. What I should have said is there is no way a normal person would want to do all those things in one day. Because what I learned is that it is possible.....if get up at 6:00 am and go straight through until 11:00 pm! And walk about 20 miles in between! Here's what we did on Sunday (I like to refer to this as "marathon day"):

Subway to Brooklyn
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
City Hall
Ground Zero
NY Stock Exchange
Wall Street
St. Paul's church
Trinity church
China Town
Little Italy
Subway to midtown
St. Patricks Cathedral
Saks Fifth Avenue
American Girl Store
Subway to Central Park
Sit in the park for 30 minutes (YEA!)
David Letterman Studio
Carnegie Hall
Carnegie Deli
Ruperts Diner
The Top of Rockafeller Center
Times Square
Subway back to the hotel

Whew! It makes me tired all over again just remembering all that!!! The other days were a little slower and Jeff even let us sleep in until 9:00 on Monday. The highlight of the trip was of course the Yankee game. Here's a photo before the game




And I have to add the photo of Lizzie (at the top of the post) for fun. Several times throughout the weekend, when I would take a picture or something would happen, she would ask me "are you going to put that on your blog?", so I thought it only fair that I put her picture on my blog.
It was a great weekend, and I'm sure I'm leaving out some important parts, but it's late so I'll have to add more tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE!!
It was a tight schedule but you have to think like a non normal person when you're going to New York!! Sounds like you had a blast anyhow - Welcome Home! Qp

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. Congratulations on a fun trip.

TraceyLaw said...

Kelly,

See you saw the same artistry in the picture of Lizzie. That is the best one to post! Like it could sell something really well, like Oscar Meyer hot dogs or make people send millions of dollars to the youth of America. Something BIG, Kel. You could make big bucks! Trace

Kelly said...

I'm glad you were so impressed with that photo Tracey. It's one that Jeff took. I took another one and then he grabbed my camera and said you have to get down on the ground to get the full effect of the statue behind her. I was too lazy to get on the ground to take a photo.