May 6, 2007

I cannot keep up...

I can't keep up with the blog world. Or the work world. Or even the house cleaning world. I feel like I am behind everywhere!!! I'm not sure if I need to be more disciplined with my time or if I just need to give up sleeping.
But maybe May will be better than April. April was a tough, busy month at work and I'm still trying to catch up. I'm a month behind in my read the Bible in a year plan (though I am determined to catch up! I read 18 chapters in Deuteronomy last night while I was babysitting.) And I haven't accomplished any of my 2007 goals yet and pretty soon we'll be half way through the year. Ugh!!!!

But I did something really fun last week. On Thursday I came home from work in a really bad mood. I had gone to Topeka for the day for a meeting with 3 of my co-workers. While I really like them and enjoy their company, it was too much people time for me. I'm used to spending most of my day alone in my office in front of my computer, occasionally coming out for meetings or limited social interactions. Anytime I have to spend a whole day interacting with people I get grouchy. I can handle a few meetings each day, but anytime I have an all day meeting (which happens more frequently than I would like), or a trip out of town with others, this happens. I always warn my coworkers when we go to week long conferences. I have to apologize in advance and explain that when I get moody and say mean things, not to take me seriously because it's just that I'm needing some solitude. Fortunately we have all worked together long enough that no one takes me seriously and they can ignore me or laugh at me when I get too annoying with my sarcasm and mean comments. I wish I could change that about myself, but no matter how hard I try, it still comes out.

But that's not the fun thing I did. The fun thing was that Thursday after work I went to hear Anna Quindlen do a reading of her newest novel at the metroplex. I wanted to be in a place where I could just sit in silence and not interact with anyone and that was perfect. I'm not really a lover of fiction but I have read one of Anna's non fiction books, and I enjoyed her columns in Newsweek for years until I finally canceled my subscription a couple of years ago. (I got too stressed out over all the Newsweek magazines laying around my house waiting to be read. But after listening to her, I'm close to subscribing again!) It's not that I agree with all of her views (at the prompting of an audience member she gave an endorsement for Hilary Clinton as our next president), but I loved listening to her talk about how she develops her stories and her life as a writer. It even motivated me to buy her newest novel! And best of all, it put me in a better mood for work the next day....though the four hours I got to spend alone in office the next day helped too :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, my fellow introvert. glad your day got better. glad you updated your blog:).
c.hill

Kelly said...

don't get used to the updated blog. I'm about ready to go on blog sabbatical (I'm not sure what that means yet)...

Unknown said...

oh! darn! I just found you :).