I went to the doctor today. She said I was not having a heart attack because my blood pressure was fine, although my pulse was a little high (97). She said I should drink more water and it would help lower my pulse because I might be dehydrated. I explained that I could not drink more water becasue I have a bad taste in my mouth all the time from my sinus drainage, so I needed to either chew gum, suck on cough drops, or drink something with flavor, which does not include water. She said to just drink more liquids, even if it wasn't water. Here's the rest of the conversation about my possible heart attack:
ME: What about the pain in my chest?
DOCTOR: It might just be you are sore from all the coughing.
ME: Is that normal? Is it normal to have chest pain from coughing?
DOCTOR: Yes, it's normal.
ME: What about the shortness of breath? I get tired easily, like my heart is not getting enough oxygen.
DOCTOR: Well, shortness of breath doesn't normally come with allergies, but it is normal to be tired because your body is busy fighting the allergens. How about I give you a shot of steriods to help?
ME: But what about my heart?
DOCTOR: Your heart is fine.
ME: What about the shortness of breath?
DOCTOR: Let's try the steriod shot and see if that helps all the symtoms and if it doesn't, give me a call at the end of the week.
ME: So you think my heart is okay?
DOCTOR: Your heart is fine.
So, the good news is that I am not having a heart attack. My official diagnosis? A bad case of allergies. I got a steriod shot (I was big girl and did not even hypervenilate like i often do when seeing a needle), some steriod nasal spray (which I most likely will not use because I don't like it) and some singulair. I decided not to bring up the possible diagnosis of acute mountain sickness because I don't want her to think I am more of a hypochondriac than she already does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well allergies doesn't sound very glamorous. I wonder if the shot will help? You aren't allergic to cats are you?
Allergies stink and, I agree, they are not very glamorous. You must be allergic to the same thing as Bella because she has been miserable lately. She is on Singulair also and it helps tremendously. Hope you are feeling better soon.
I'm feeling much better already, thanks!
And yes, i do have a very mild cat allergy (I was tested several years ago), but I'm not giving up my cats. It's very mild and my doctor said if I take allergy meds I should be fine. I know you all want my cats, but you can't have them!
Post a Comment