January 16, 2008

New Job

I have a new job. Same company, but new responsibilities and new title. I am now the Training Director. I'm excited, and more than a little overwhelmed at what I need to get done asap. Here are some of the things that are occupying me this month:

1. We are considering a move to a new LMS (Learning Management System) for our online learning program. There is a problem though. I need Consumer Reports to do some comparison shopping for me and lay out all the pros and cons for the top LMS systems out there. There is no time to search the internet to find out about all the different systems, test them out, talk to other users, figure out if it meets our needs etc. And now to complicate things, there are all these open source programs to consider too. I've been meaning to check out Moodle for a couple of months now, but everytime I go to their website, I get overwhelmed trying to figure out what I am looking for. Anyone have a good, affordable, LMS to reccommend?

2. We are going through our accreditation visit this summer. We go through this every three years or so, and I've been through it twice before, so I know what's coming and it's going to require a lot of work, though in the end it's always a good experience. As the new Training Director I need to make sure we are meeting all of the standards for training that are required. I have six months to accomplish this. In some cases, this is probably going to require developing some trainings, getting our 200+ staff across the state trained in them, and pulling reports showing that everyone has received the training. Sounds fun, right! I love a good challenge, especially when it involves systems building. And if it involves a database, then it's even more fun. Seriously- I'm really looking forward to figuring this challenge out!

3. And in between figuring that stuff out I'll keep my other job duties which includes teaching online courses until I can hire someone to take over that part of my job, managing a collaborative grant with several local partners, providing oversight to our trainings for foster parents across the state, and attending a lot of meetings.

I think I'm going to have a panic attack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

were you typing in english? all this stuff is so over my head...congrats on the new job. you'll be great!
i hope it leaves you with time to read.
it was good having you back on tuesday nights sharing with the rest of us girls just trying to get through life. i value your opinion and thoughts with things that we're all sharing on...
thanks...

Tracey Lawrence said...

Kel,

Congratulations! Sounds like you are well equipped for this job and I hope it breathes in new perspective and a healthy challenge for you.

...And thanks for all your prayers you sent to us in Rwanda. So thankful to be back.

Tracey